Best Methods- How To Recover Android Data After Factory Reset?
Recovering the lost phone data after factory reset can be very challenging. However, we have covered a few methods in this article, that you can try to recover Android data after factory reset.
So, keep reading further….
Why Factory Reset Your Android Device?
Well, factory resetting a phone is not something that needs to be done on a regular basis. It is generally done when –
- You have to sell your phone.
- Switch to a new phone to discard the old one.
- Or you need to get rid of the junk, harmful files and wipe the entire data
Now the question here is, how to recover the erased data after factory reset?
Also Read – How to wipe Android phone before selling?
How To Recover Android Data After Factory Reset?
In this section, we are going to discuss the recovery methods after a factory reset on Android (with or without backup).
Part 1: Recover Lost Data After Factory Reset Using Software (Without Backup)
If you haven’t backup Android phone before factory reset, check out the below list of the best Android data recovery software after factory reset.
Android Data Recovery
If you are looking for a way how to restore data after factory reset without backup, must try Android Data Recovery.
It is the best and the most recommended software that is capable of recovering lost data after factory reset on Android phones.
The software scans the internal as well as external memory of the phone and restores all the deleted data. It can restore any deleted data such as photos, videos, audio files, documents, WhatsApp messages, contacts, and many more on your phone.
So, just download Android Data Recovery Tool and follow the below user guide instructions to use it.
Note: It is recommended to download and use the software on your PC or laptop. It is because recovery of phone data on the phone itself is risky as you may end up losing all your data because of data overriding.
Steps To Use Android Data Recovery Software
Tenorshare UltData for Android
Tenorshare UltData is another best data recovery software for Android after a factory reset. It can recover a wide range of lost or deleted files such as photos, videos, messages, call logs, WhatsApp messages, documents, and more.
- It has a user-friendly interface.
- Recover a wide range of lost Android data including photos, videos, messages, call logs, etc.
- It allows selective recovery of files instead of complete data. This saves you time and storage.
- Compatible with a wide range of Android devices.
- It can be costly.
- Limited free trial.
- The software can be time-consuming.
- It might not be compatible with some Android software.
- Low recovery guarantee.
Dr.Fone – Data Recovery (Android)
Dr.Fone – Data Recovery (Android) is also one of the most effective and best Android data recovery software. It helps you recover lost or erased data from your phone after a factory reset. It is supportable on almost all Android devices.
- Easy to use even for non-tech savvy.
- It has multiple recovery modes to recover lost data from different circumstances such as broken screen, dead phones, etc.
- Allows selective recovery of files.
- High success rate.
- Allows you to preview files before restoration to avoid duplicate recovery of files.
- Limited free trial.
- It can be expensive.
- Incomplete data recovery.
- Limited support for some Android devices.
Part 2: Restore Deleted Data After Factory Reset on Android (Using Backup)
If you have a backup, the task of recovering lost data after a factory reset is just a matter of a few clicks.
Here is a list of methods to restore lost data after factory reset when you have the backup.
Method 1: Restore Lost Android Data Using Local Backup
Most Android smartphone comes with an in-built backup feature. So, if you have used this feature to back up your Android data, recovering lost data after a factory reset is relatively easy.
Local backup keeps the backup of contacts, messages, call logs, system data, and apps.
Note: [We recommend copying backup files to a PC or pen drive to retrieve the data from it when required. As after the factory reset the backup file also gets erased from a phone if kept there.]
Follow the steps below to recover lost data using local backup:
- Connect your Android phone to your computer using a USB cable.
- Then, enable USB Debugging on your phone and select Transfer Files.
- Once your phone gets detected, locate the local backup folder that you transferred earlier on your PC.
- Next, copy the folder and paste it into the internal storage of your Android phone.
- Now, on your phone, go to Settings>System settings.
- Scroll down & select Backup and reset.
- Click on Backup & migrate and choose Local backup.
- Now, click on the latest backup folder that you copied from your PC and tap on the Start button.
- Wait for it to restore all the data.
- Once finished, click on Done.
Method 2: Use Google Photos to Retrieve Photos & Videos
If you have backed photos and videos using Google Photos, you’ll be easily able to recover deleted photos from Google Photos.
Note: [Remember, Google Photos keeps deleted photos for 60 days only.]
Here’s how you can do so:
- Open Google Photos on your Android phone.
- Then, go to the Menu option.
- Here, click on the Trash/Bin.
- Now, select the photos that you want to restore.
- Tap on the Restore option.
Method 3: Retrieve Erased Phone Data with Samsung Account
If you are a Samsung user and using the Samsung backup feature, you can recover data after factory reset Android without computer.
Here’s how you can do so:
- Open Settings on your Samsung phone.
- Then, go to Clouds & accounts section.
- Now, select Samsung Clouds.
- On the next screen, select the data you want to restore and tap the Restore button.
Also Read: Samsung Phone Data Recovery
Recover Data After Factory Reset Android Without Root
If you have previously backed up your Android data using cloud service or other backup methods, Android data recovery after factor reset can relatively be easy.
Here are the steps to recover Android data after a factory reset without root using Samsung Cloud:
- On your Android phone, open Settings.
- Click on your name at the top of the screen.
- Next, select Samsung Cloud and click on the Restore data option.
- Choose the data that you need to restore and tap on the Restore option.
- To restore backed-up apps, click on the Install button.
- Now, wait for the backup to restore on your phone successfully.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Does Factory Reset removes all data?
Yes, performing the Factory Reset on an Android device removes all the data on your phone except the inbuilt apps and data. However, you can recover it by using a backup or a good data recovery tool.
Can I recover data after factory reset without backup?
Yes, you can recover data after factory reset even if you have no backup of your deleted files. You can either use the Android Data Recovery tool or can use other tools such as Google Photos, Google Drive, Google Contacts. But you can only use these Google tools if you have enabled the sync option.
How to restore Android after Factory Reset?
You can restore Android after a factory reset if you have checked the Automatic Restore option in settings.
- Launch Settings on the Android device
- Find and tap Backup & reset or you can tap System and then tap Reset for other devices
- Verify if the Automatic Restore box is checked.
- This will automatically restore backed-up settings and data upon reinstalling an app.
Lastly, it is suggested not to perform a factory reset until there is a requirement. However, the above methods will help you to recover Android data after factory reset if you fall into such situations.
Also, must try Android Data Recovery software to get back erased data after a factory reset.
I hope, the methods worked for you and you are able to recover the lost data. In case of further queries or doubts, feel free to ask us on Twitter or Facebook.
James Leak is a technology expert and lives in New York. Previously, he was working on Symbian OS and was trying to solve many issues related to it. From childhood, he was very much interested in technology field and loves to write blogs related to Android and other OS. So he maintained that and currently, James is working for androiddata-recovery.com where he contribute several articles about errors/issues or data loss situation related to Android. He keeps daily updates on news or rumors or what is happening in this new technology world. Apart from blogging, he loves to travel, play games and reading books.