9 Tricks To Fix Android File Transfer Not Working Error
If while transferring data from Android to PC, you come across the “Android File Transfer Not Working” error message, it might be because of a faulty connection. So, in such a situation, re-establishing the connection, using the official USB cable, enabling the USB-Debugging, etc will resolve the error issue. However, go through this entire article for more workable solutions to fix the problem.
Well, the users get a variety of errors while using Android file transfer like “Could not connect to the device”, “Can’t access device storage” “get started”, “No Android device found” etc. So, here in this article, we have covered all the solutions that will help you fix all the Android file transfer errors.
But before moving to the solutions, you must look through the reasons responsible for such error occurrence to fix the errors effectively from their roots.
What Causes the “Android File Transfer Not Working” Error?
Encountering errors while transferring files from Android to PC is common and can be occurred due to various reasons. So, below are the possible reasons for this error:
- File transfer mode is disabled on your Android phone.
- Connected devices are incompatible.
- The USB port is damaged or malfunctioned.
- Broken or Damaged USB Cable.
- USB Debugging is disabled.
- Interfering third-party apps.
- Outdated System or Android phone software.
How To Fix Android File Transfer Not Working Error?
Solution 1: Check Your USB Cable
The very first thing that you should do when you encounter such an error message is to check the USB cable properly. A damaged or broken USB cable can result in a loose connection which further can give you this error. So, make sure you use the original USB cable that comes with your Android phone or is not. If the fault is in your cable, change the damaged cable to a new one and try transferring files.
If after changing the USB cable, still the problem doesn’t solve, try changing the port. Sometimes, damaged or malfunctioned ports can also cause connection problems.
Solution 2: Check If File Transfer Option Is Enabled Or Not
When the USB cable is fine and there is no problem due to the cable then the error might be due to some other reason. Yes, the issue can occur when you have not enabled the file transfer option on your Android phone. But the issue can be fixed once you enable the option.
After you connect your Android phone to the computer, unlock your device. You will see a popup, click on USB connectivity from the notification bar. After that, tap on the “File Transfer” option and it will be enabled on your phone.
Solution 3: Allow USB Debugging On Android
If you are connecting your phone to the computer for any file transfer then you should allow USB debugging on your phone. When you forget to enable it then your phone will not detect it successfully on the PC.
So whenever Android file transfer isn’t working error message popups then you should check whether the USB debugging option is enabled or not. If it is not enabled then follow the below option to allow USB debugging on Android:
- First, unlock the phone > go to Settings > About phone
- Then click on Build number 7 times to enable developer mode
- After that, click on the back button and Developer options will be seen
- Here, tick on USB debugging to enable it
Solution 4: Update Android OS
Another possible reason for encountering the “Android device not found” error is because of the old Android OS. The older Android version is sometimes not compatible with its drivers on PC.
Therefore, it becomes important to update your Android OS and then check whether the error is solved or not.
Here are the steps to follow:
- First, click on Settings on the phone
- Then click on System > Advanced > System update
- After that, follow the on-screen steps from the device and update OS to the latest version
Solution 5: Update Your System Software
If you are using outdated system software, you might find Android file transfer not working on Windows error. So, here we suggest you use the latest software to avoid getting such errors.
Follow the instructions to update Windows OS:
- Open the Windows Settings by holding Windows + I keys together.
- Now, click on the Windows Update category.
- Then, tap the option Check for updates.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to install the latest update on your PC if any is available.
Solution 6: Clear External Storage Cache
When Android File Transfer couldn’t connect to device, you must try clearing out the cache of external storage on the phone. To do this: follow these steps:
- Open the Settings app on your phone.
- Go to the Apps.
- Tap on the External Storage. If you can’t find it in the list, then tap on the three vertical dots at the top-right corner and select the Show all apps option.
- Click on the Storage.
- Tap on the Clear Data and Clear Cache buttons.
Now, check if the Android Data Transfer is working or not.
Solution 7: Uninstall Samsung Kies/Smart Switch (For Samsung Users)
Are you a Samsung user and coming across an “Android file transfer not working” error?
If yes then this error might be due to Samsung Kies installed on your phone. It stops the Android file transfer and only one thing is left to avoid it and that is by uninstalling Samsung Kies from the device.
After you uninstall the app, now try to use Android file transfer to transfer files. Also, remember that if you simply delete Samsung Kies from the phone then it will not work, you have to remove it properly. You can use “UNINSTALLER” to uninstall Kies from the phone.
Solution 8: Reinstall Android File Transfer
If you are using any Android File Transfer app on your Android phone, then it might be outdated and this is the reason why you are getting this problem. So, make sure the app is updated.
Another possible reason that may also cause the Android File Transfer could not connect to device error is a corrupted app. If the file transfer app is corrupted then it will obviously not work and you will face this issue.
So, whether the app is outdated or corrupted, reinstalling it can resolve the issue in both cases. Now, uninstall the file transfer app and reinstall it on the system.
Now, check if reinstalling it resolved the problem or not.
Solution 9: Use File Transfer Alternatives
To transfer files between devices, you can use different Android file transfer apps, Bluetooth, etc. Try using other methods to transfer files from Android to computer to resolve the error issue.
Recommended: Use Reliable Software To Transfer Files
When you are getting Android File Transfer not working error then it means that you will not be able to transfer any files from your phone to your computer or other devices. But there is nothing to worry about as you still have the option to transfer files. I will suggest you use Android Transfer software, a reliable solution to transfer files between devices.
When you come across errors like Android file transfer could not connect devices and others, then using this tool will definitely help to transfer files from one to another. You can transfer data between Android to the computer, Android to Android, Android to iPhone, etc. It is compatible with all Android OS versions and all types of data are easily transferred.
You just simply need to download and install this powerful tool and transfer all your stuff from an Android device to a computer and another.
Check out the complete user guide to know how to use Android Transfer software.
Note: It is recommended to download and use the software on your PC or laptop only.
Android File Transfer Could Not Connect to Device: FAQs
Why can’t I transfer files from an Android phone to a PC?
There could be several reasons you can’t transfer data from Android to PC. The following are most likely ones to cause this issue:
- If you haven’t selected the file transfer option under the USB preferences
- MTP USB driver is outdated on the PC
- If you are trying to transfer files to Mac PC, then you might don’t have Android File Transfer Utility on the computer
- If the USB port or USB cable is damaged or has any issue
- Due to using the outdated Operating System
- If there are any hardware issues
How to fix Android USB device not recognized but charging issue?
You can fix the Android USB device not recognized by PC error with the following troubleshooting methods:
- Try different USB cable
- Enable USB Debugging on the phone
- Connect your phone to the PC as MTP
- Update the Android USB Driver on the computer and if you don’t have one on your PC, then install it
- Use Android Repair Tool to fix the error
How do I fix Android File Transfer can’t access device storage error?
The Android File Transfer can’t access device storage is very similar to the Android File Transfer not working issue. That’s why the following solutions will help you to fix the error:
- Check the USB port on the computer along with the USB cable
- Make sure the MTP or file transfer mode is enabled on your Android phone
- Update the OS on your phone and as well as on the computer
- Enable the USB Debugging on the phone
- Reinstall Android File Transfer
How can I transfer files from an Android phone to a PC wirelessly?
If you want to transfer data from an Android phone to a PC wirelessly, then the following are ways to do so:
- Use Bluetooth to share files between your phone and the computer
- Use Could services, such as Google Drive or Dropbox
- You can also use the 3rd party apps to transfer data from Android to computer
Android USB File Transfer Not Working error is a common issue to come across. There is nothing to worry about as there are several ways to fix this error and you can once again transfer the files between devices.
If you want to transfer data between Android and PC or others hassle-free then go for the Android Transfer tool. This is professional software that works effectively to transfer files without any problem.
Besides, if you have any queries or suggestions on this issue, then share them with us on our social media channels, Facebook or Twitter.
James Leak is a technology expert and lives in New York. Previously, he was working on Symbian OS and was trying to solve many issues related to it. From childhood, he was very much interested in technology field and loves to write blogs related to Android and other OS. So he maintained that and currently, James is working for androiddata-recovery.com where he contribute several articles about errors/issues or data loss situation related to Android. He keeps daily updates on news or rumors or what is happening in this new technology world. Apart from blogging, he loves to travel, play games and reading books.